Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Lazy Media - ARGH!

I’ve been debating on whether I should write about this in my blog and I was stalling a little to see if there might be some follow up information to this story. Alas, that is part of the inherent problem! Here’s a link to the story with more holes than Swiss cheese in it if you care to read first: Man shot in Bentley dies

A 25 year old guy name Jose Luis Macias, whose has been listed as a resident of East los Angeles, was driving along a stretch of the 110 freeway, in (here’s the kicker) a silver Bentley Continental, when the car was pierced with multiple gun shots. It’s reported that he has since died as a result of injuries sustained in the shooting.

Here’s the where I’m curious, confused, skeptical, suspicious and critical all at the same time. So, little is known on this Macias kid. I refer affectionately to him as a kid because how many 25 year old people have you ever seen driving around in a Bentley. Sure, I drive through Bev Hills everyday on my commute to and fro work. But the peeps I see driving around in them are presidents of banks and wealthy old Hollywood producers and actors or just really wealthy Persians who made a killing on buying up and historically over inflating the real estate prices in BH (but that’s a whole different Freakonomics blog for a different day).

The only 25 year old I’ve ever seen driving a Bentley was Stephan Marbury when he was a Phoenix Sun a few years back and that’s just because I was new to town and there are an overwhelming number of luxury cars I’d just never seen in the flesh, being a young lass raised in Buffalo NY (for the record; luxury cars don’t do well in places like BUF. And I don’t know anyone wealthy enough in the WNY area to drive a Bentley, with the exception of perhaps a Sabre or Bill or owner of said teams…or maybe the Sorrento family). So, a 25 year old Hispanic male driving a 100K car? These are my people people! We like $3000 cars with $8K worth of accessories on ‘em-think tricked out Honda Civic with DeLorean style doors! We like old 70’s Caddies with White wall tires if we’re talking luxury vehicles (sorry Uncle Pete, we begged you not to drop us off in that beaner mobile for basketball practice daily!). Yeah I said it! And, we can fit our entire family in those things far easier than in a mini van. Plus there’s a nice little cargo hold where immigration can’t see people….it’s called a trunk people! No one’s goin to find long lost cousin Eusebio in the trunk amongst the gallon jugs of Mexican vanilla and blankets we’re taking back through Nogales!

Back to the Bentley. Reports show that the car was recently purchased from Dream Motors Cars in Beverly Hills. The name of the owner is not being released to the public. Nothing is known about the driver – what we can’t even find a myspace or facebook page on this guy? We don’t know why he was driving the car. It’s not likely that someone residing in East LA would own the car (I make this statement solely based on a Freakonomics perspective), since the median income is $28,544 (according to recent census numbers). So, who does the car belong to? Why was he driving it? Why was he in the neighborhood he was in (incidentally East LA is a mile or two from where he was. The more likely neighborhood where a car like that might belong is about 12 miles west of his location; it’s also where the car was purchased)? I have more questions now than before the story ran.

The media hasn’t done its job in gathering facts and back story. Reporters have become lazy. They don’t want to dig. They don’t want to ask the difficult questions. Stories like this drive me crazy. Because it’s likely we’ll see little follow up. Perhaps it’s just my curiosity that leads me to wonder about additional facts of this story however, it’s a great example of lazy journalism. It’s pervasive through out media outlets nationwide. Don’t believe me? Here are a few more examples where there is more missing than present. ANd these are just from today!:
Driver attacked while waiting at Red Light - just plain old laziness – there’s nothing here. This is a non story.
Super Market denies customer service – will not write Adolf Hitler on cake – how come nobody has the cojones to call this jackass anit-Semetic or question him as to why his kids are named what they are?-look at his kids names! ARGH!
Suspect cop is engaged…again – how come nobody bothered to look into snooping around about this poor naïve 23 year old girl and what the hell is her name?

I'm sure I could find some stuff about a hedge fund manager...(but I have a date with a hot one later, so I'm not going ot screw that up until AFTER my dinner at Mastro's - a girl's gotta eat), a stupid hocky player saying something even dumber than teh IQ embroidered on his sweater (yes, people they are called sweaters) , the crazy weather in LA or any other seemingly innocuous topic, but this is all I had time for!


Seriously people. LAZY!!!

No comments: