Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Queen City Roller Girls - Alley Kats Rock! From the bottom to the top...for now.

So, yeah, a bunch of women get together, strap on some quads and legally hit each other creating space and time for teammates to score points. I'll save that for the my TV show! More importantly, think about Suicide-girls-meets Betty page-meets-burlesque women in fishnets and thigh highs. Think 150lbs of fishnets and fury! That's roller derby.

The Alley Kats, a team I was drafted to this season as a member of the Queen City Roller Girls were winless in league play last year. That's not to say that they were a bad team...but they were an expansion team with more new players than any other team....by a calculation of 10-15 players! Well this year, we're still the team with the highest number of draft choices. We took 6 new players this year (myself included). The buzz around the derby community was that of low expectations. And to be honest, I love a great underdog story. Well, we kind of squashed that myth this past week with a commanding win over a traditionally strong Devil Dollies team. Here's the highlight reel. I'm not sure it's indicative of our performance as a team. But I'd like to think we're the Buffalo Sabres of QCRG: no superstars...just a bunch of really strong, talented, athletic skaters who play SMART!



OK, so I busted up myself pretty good two weeks before our first bout. I didn't even skate...but I can't help but think that I had a little part in our win, encouraging teammates and skating almost up until the bout, pushing my teammates to be faster, stronger and better players in the way I only knew how.

But pay no mind. This is my first official derby season. It rocks! I'm in better shape than I was playing college sports...and I'm 34! Admittedly, it take a lot longer to recuperate from injury and soreness but it's the most empowering activity I'm participated in in years!

Check us out at qcrg.net if you want to learn more about derby, buy tickets or just check out some pretty cool and bad ass chicks

No comments: